Big Seaweed Search Terms and Conditions of Use
By using this website, you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree, please do not use the site.
Wildlife records and personal data
- When you use this website, you create and upload content - for instance, wildlife observations, photos of nature, your descriptions of it, and messages to the forums. By putting this information on the site, you are saying that:
(a) the content is yours, or you have the permission of the owner to agree to this usage, and
(b) you agree that the content can be used on this site, and
(c) you agree that your wildlife observations can be made publicly available for wider use.
- Wildlife observations collected through this site will be stored securely at the Biological Records Centre and made available to experts for verification.
- Verified observations will be made available via the NBN Gateway. The Big Seaweed Search data will be collated alongside other data and made available via the NBN Gateway by the relevant national recording scheme, or will be provided directly via the NBN Gateway in a dataset administered by the Biological Records Centre and/or the relevant national recording scheme. If you do not want your observations to be made available in this way, please do not submit them.
- Once verified records have been made available, their use will be governed by the NBN Gateway Terms and Conditions, e.g. use of the data for commercial purposes will not be allowed without written permission from the organisation administering the dataset.
- Please do not submit records to this site that have already been submitted to a Vice County Recorder, Local Records Centre, National Recording Scheme or another online wildlife recording system.
- Having submitted a record to this site, please do not submit it to other organisations or online recording schemes. It will be made available to local records centres, conservation organisations, natural history societies and others with a legitimate interest in the data via the NBN Gateway.
- You may view wildlife records submitted to this website by other users, but you may not store them, republish them, exploit them for commercial or academic research purposes, or pass them on to any third party.
- Your contact details will be held in a database at the Biological Records Centre and will only be used to contact you if there is a query about the verification of your wildlife observations.
- Your contact details will not be passed on to any third parties without your permission.
- Your name will be stored as part of the record and may be made publicly available via the NBN Gateway along with the species name, date and location of the record.
- If you submit a record of a species that could be vulnerable to disturbance or persecution if the record is made publicly available, the record will be flagged as ‘sensitive’ and will not be made publicly available.
General Terms and Conditions
- You agree to indemnify the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society against any and all claims by third parties arising out of your use of this site in violation of these Legal Terms and Conditions of Use.
- You should assume that everything that you read or see on this site is copyrighted or otherwise protected and owned by the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society or some third party who licensed to the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society the right to use such material. Unless otherwise expressly noted, nothing that you read or see on this site may be copied or used except as provided in these Legal Terms and Conditions of Use or with the prior written approval of the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society. You may not: use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial); remove any copyright, or other properietary notations from the materials; or transfer the materials to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server. We make no warranties or representations to you that your use of any materials displayed on the site will not infringe the rights of third parties.
- All material on this site, including all files, images, text, software, and data, are the property of the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society. These materials are licensed to you for your personal, non-commercial use. You may download, print, or view these materials on your personal computer, provided you do not delete or change any of the information, including copyright and trademark notices. You many not modify, reverse-engineer, disassemble, dedistribute, republish, upload, or re-use any of the text, graphics, or other materials on the site without the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society's prior written permission.
- The site may provide links and pointers to internet sites maintained by others ("third party sites"). The Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society have not reviewed all of the third party sites linked to the site and is not responsible for the content of or any products or services offered in such third party sites.
- Unless otherwise indicated, all logos, names, designs, and marks on the site are trademarks or service marks owned or used under license by the Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society . The use or misuse of any of these marks or other information is strictly prohibited.
- The Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society may modify these terms and conditions at any time without notice to you. The Natural History Museum and the Marine Conservation Society may terminate this agreement at any time, without notice to you, if it believes, in their sole judgement, that you have breached or may breach any term or condition of this agreement or they may terminate this agreement for their convenience. You may terminate this agreement at any time by destroying all materials received from the site and ceasing to use the site.
- These Legal Terms and Conditions of Use shall be governed by English law.
- Our failure to strictly enforce any right against you shall not constitute a waiver thereof. If any provision of these Legal Terrms and Conditons of Use is deemed invalid, illegal, or unenforceable such provision will be deemed amended to conform to the applicable laws and the remainder of the Legal Terms and Conditions of Use shall remain in full force and effect. This represents the full understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof.